The mission of the Alabama Center for Architecture is to advance the enjoyment of architecture and design through engagement, education and collaboration.
- Bringing citizens in touch with their physical environment not only through exhibits, but also through active participation in competitions, symposia, press conferences, and workshops
- Supporting communities in understanding the existing conditions and the future potential of their physical environments
- Encouraging civic discourse and an open, transparent, and sustained public dialogue
- Celebrating the design achievements of the region and presenting the design accomplishments of other parts of the world in a manner that raises our aspirations.
- Expanding our current educational programs for Kindergarten through 12th grade
- Providing an exhibit space for high schools and colleges to exhibit their design related work
- Educating the communities through exhibits, lecture series, and charrettes
- Providing a forum for professional and citizen dialogue about the importance of quality design, beautiful public spaces, good civic architecture, and sustainable, family-friendly neighborhood
- Connecting professionals, community, and civic leaders to build high quality environments
- Fostering collegiality and exchange between industry professionals and providing professional development opportunities for them
- Bridging the gap between the suburbs and city on regional issues such as the environment
- Providing gallery space to exhibit projects related to good design